Hard Disk Failure

From: Arindam Dey (linuxkerneldeveloper@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Jan 24 2003 - 19:59:15 EST

Hi people,

I have subscribed myself to this mailing list just to
ask this question although this may not be the right
place but we are desperate. Somebody please HELP US.

According to the Changes Document in the Kernel Source
tree the minimum version of e2fsprogs required for
2.4.18 and 2.4.19 is 1.25. We were making a
distribution and due to a horrendous oversight the
version of e2fsprogs remained old as in 1.23-2. We are
using ext3 filesystem.

Now this Distribution is bundled along with its own
Hardware and about 45% of these PC's Harddisk are
failing after a period of 2-3 weeks. On reinstallation
they become ok but again after 2-3 weeks they fail
again and finally after 2 months of this the Hard Disk
fails COMPLETELY and cannot be used again for any
distribution to be installed.

All I want to know is what is the probability that the
above oversight of e2fsprogs version is responsible
for the HDD failure thats all. Since we are totally
clueless and are unable to replicate the problem in a
controlled environment.

Thanks in advance,

Arindam Dey