Re: your mail

From: Larry McVoy (lm@bitmover.com)
Date: Fri Jan 24 2003 - 21:26:48 EST

> For the record, I finally got to try my own page coloring patch on a 1GHz
> Athlon Thunderbird system with 256kB L2 cache. With the present patch, my
> own number crunching benchmarks and a kernel compile don't show any benefit
> at all, and lmbench is completely unchanged except for the mmap latency,
> which is slightly worse. Hardly a compelling case for PCs!

If it works correctly then the variability in lat_ctx should go away.
Try this

        for p in 2 4 8 12 16 24 32 64
        do for size in 0 2 4 8 16
                do for i in 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0
                        do lat_ctx -s$size $p
                        done
                done
        done

on both the with and without kernel. The page coloring should make the
numbers rock steady, without it, they will bounce a lot.

--
---