Re: BIOS setup needed for LBA48?

From: Andre Hedrick (andre@linux-ide.org)
Date: Sat Jan 25 2003 - 18:36:17 EST

Well doors may know this but the door-stop does not. The driver has no
clue currently and so we are back to a pig in a poke. I have never run
48-bit on AMD, and iirc NFORCE is a step-child of AMD.

It has everything to do with the DMA engine in the ASIC going south.

Cheers,

On Sat, 25 Jan 2003, Andrzej Krzysztofowicz wrote:

> > Yes, if the host controller can not handle the double pump for dma
> > operations. Disable DMA int it has to work. If it does not, you have a
> > nice pile of junk, and it should be come a door.
>
> Shouldn't the driver disable DMA automatically (not allow to enable it) ?
> Driver knows the controller type, knows the disk size ...
>
> Or is it not so simple ?

> > > Is there anything that could make "usually, yes" become a "no"?
>
> --
> Andrzej M. Krzysztofowicz ankry@mif.pg.gda.pl
> phone (48)(58) 347 14 61
> Faculty of Applied Phys. & Math., Gdansk University of Technology

Andre Hedrick
LAD Storage Consulting Group