Re: no version magic, tainting kernel.

From: Christian Zander (zander@minion.de)
Date: Sun Jan 26 2003 - 18:28:39 EST

On Sun, Jan 26, 2003 at 09:40:22PM +0000, David Woodhouse wrote:

> That's what EXTRA_CFLAGS and CFLAGS_someobject.o are for.

I am well aware of the documentation in Documentation/kbuild and know
that kbuild is flexible enough to support customized CFLAGS. I didn't
argue that.

> The use of the kernel build process to build kernel modules is not
> _mandatory_, it's just that it's the only sane option.
>
> You are, of course, welcome to hack up your own broken and
> short-term solutions which happen to work this week for some
> platforms. But don't come crying to us when (not if) they stop
> working.
>
> The use of vermagic.c doesn't stop you from making your own build
> system; you can have your own vermagic.c to make your hacks work
> this week.

I can't follow your hostility in this matter; I didn't "come crying"
to you when things broke in the past and I'm not crying now. Last time
I checked, voicing concerns was a legitimate thing to do.

The "broken and short-term solutions" are needed with any kernel that
doesn't provide the module building support introduced with Linux 2.5,
which will likely be the majority of kernels in use for quite a while,
still.

--
christian zander
zander@minion.de