Re: no version magic, tainting kernel.

From: David Woodhouse (dwmw2@infradead.org)
Date: Sun Jan 26 2003 - 18:16:11 EST

zander@minion.de said:
> I apologize if I have argued based on false assumptions; is it true
> then that a Makefile written for use with Linux 2.5 kbuild will work
> unchanged with any Linux 2.2/2.5 kernel (w/ custom CFLAGS, ...)?

There are some differences, but nothing insurmountable.

For <=2.4 you have to include Rules.make at the end of your own Makefile,
and for 2.5 that file doesn't exist any more.

For older kernels you must set O_TARGET, for 2.5 I think the mere act of
setting it causes the build to break -- that one is gratuitously making it
harder to make external modules which compile in both and I've complained
about it before.

Per-file CFLAGS must have a full path specified now in 2.5, whereas in 2.4
and earlier it was just 'CFLAGS_filename.o'.

--
dwmw2