Re: [RFC] Patches have a license

From: Sean Neakums (sneakums@zork.net)
Date: Mon Jan 27 2003 - 06:34:17 EST

commence Dave Jones quotation:

> On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 01:58:40AM -0800, Balbir Singh wrote:
> > I would request everyone to post their patches with a license,
> > failing which it should be assumed that the license is GPL.
>
> Surely the license of the diff matches the license of the code it is
> patching ?

I'm not sure that it would *have* to. A diff could be considered a
program in its own right that drives the "patch" source code
transformation engine. In general, programs that process free data
don't have to be free themselves for the data to remain free.

--
[|] Sean Neakums            | Size *does* matter.