[Linux-fbdev-devel] Re: New logo code (fwd)

From: Geert Uytterhoeven (geert@linux-m68k.org)
Date: Tue Jan 28 2003 - 10:08:41 EST

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 17:01:55 +0100 (MET)
From: Geert Uytterhoeven <geert@linux-m68k.org>
To: Linux Frame Buffer Device Development
    <linux-fbdev-devel@lists.sourceforge.net>
Subject: [Linux-fbdev-devel] Re: New logo code

On Sun, 12 Jan 2003, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> The current logo code is messy, complex, and inflexible. So I decided to
> rewrite it. My goals were:
> - Logos must be accessible easily by an image editor (currently: hex C source
> data must be converted to another format first)
> - Logos must be stored in ASCII-form in the source tree
> - Support arbitrary logo sizes (currently: fixed 80x80)
> - Allow the logo to be selected statically (at compile time) and/or
> dynamically (at run-time, based on machine type) (currently: at compile
> time only).
> - Allow simple adition of new logos
> - Support grayscale logos (not used yet)
>
> The patch achieves all of these. Logos are stored in ASCII PNM format in
> drivers/video/logo/, and automatically converted to hex C source arrays using
> scripts/pnmtologo. I chose ASCII PNM because (a) it's ASCII, (b) it's very
> simple to parse without an external library (XPM is more difficult to parse),
> and (c) it can be handled by many image manipulation programs.
>
> Code that wants to display a logo just calls fb_find_logo(), specifying the
> wanted logo type, and receives a pointer to a suitable logo (or NULL).
>
> I also modified fb_show_logo() to return the number of scanlines that are used
> by the logo, so fbcon knows how many lines to reserve.
>
> So far I tested it on Amiga only (with amifb), using the standard 3 logos
> (mono, vga16, and clut224, all 80x80), and using resized (171x171) versions of
> the standard logos, to verify that arbitrary logo sizes are working.
>
> Initial logo display is still a bit weird, because fbcon is initialized before
> the logo is drawn. What you see is this:
> - Initial text screen contents are drawn, starting at the top of the screen,
> - The logo is drawn,
> - New kernel messages are printed, until the bottom of the screen is reached,
> - The logo is drawn again, and the top of the screen is reserved for the
> logo,
> - New kernel messages are printed, and scrolling scrolls the text part only,
> leaving the logo at the top
>
> To do:
> - More testing
> - Clean ups:
> o Protect all drawing code by CONFIG_FB_LOGO
> o Move logo drawing code from fbmem.c to logo/logo.c?
> o Logo selection in Kconfig and logo.c?

I put a new version at

    http://home.tvd.be/cr26864/Linux/fbdev/linux-logo-2.5.59.diff.bz2

Changes:
  - Merge with 2.5.59
  - New logo (CLUT224 only) for PA-RISC
  - Let hgafb and newport_con include logo sources directly, since they need
    access to the logos in non-init code

All comments are welcomed! Thanks!

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                                                Geert

In personal conversations with technical people, I call myself a hacker. But when I'm talking to journalists I just say "programmer" or something like that. -- Linus Torvalds