Module security [Was: Re: Bootscreen]

From: Horst von Brand (brand@jupiter.cs.uni-dortmund.de)
Date: Wed Jan 29 2003 - 04:57:52 EST

Jos Hulzink <josh@stack.nl> said:

[...]

> Oh, and using modules is a (minor) security issue. I have all my drivers
> compiled in the kernel. I like it and it is secure.

There are ways of installing rogue "modules" even without module support.
Google and ye shall find... [One of the online cracker mags had an
extensive article on module/kernel based rootkits some 6-10 months
ago]. And if "someone" gets root, they can leave behind a doctored kernel
any time they want. You'll never notice...