Re: two x86_64 fixes for 2.4.21-pre3

From: Andi Kleen (ak@suse.de)
Date: Wed Jan 29 2003 - 11:28:24 EST

> 1. One unknown ioctl is logged from RH8.0 init:
>
> ioctl32(iwconfig:185): Unknown cmd fd(3) cmd(00008b01){00} arg(ffffda90) on socket:[389]

Probably harmless, but if you figure it out please send me a patch.

Basically the steps are:

- find out which ioctl it is.

- check its arguments. if the arguments are 64bit clean (see
http://www.firstfloor.org/~andi/writing-ioctl32 for a definition) you just
add it as COMPATIBLE_IOCTL to arch/x86_64/ia32/ia32_ioctl.c

If not you have to write a conversion handler, also following the tutorial
in writing-ioctl32.

> 2. gdb still seems broken. gdb ./sleep [where ./sleep is simply main() calling
> nanosleep(), but linked with -lpthread] hangs or loops and takes forever
> to respond to ^C.

It works with the SuSE 32bit gdb/userland.

I think RedHat has a different libpthread. I don't have a RedHat userland,
so someone else will have to debug it.

> 3. bootsect.S still needs a patch to prevent 'bzdisk' kernels from
> disabling the FDC

I put your previous patch already into CVS, but that was after the
last Marcelo sync.

-Andi