Re: debate on 700 threads vs asynchronous code

From: Lee Chin (leechin@mail.com)
Date: Wed Jan 29 2003 - 12:26:30 EST

Today I do method (C)... but many people seem to say that, hey, pthreads does almost just that with a constant memory overhead of remembering the stack per blocking thread... so there is no time difference, just that pthreads consumes slightly more memory. That is the issue I am trying to get my head around.

That particular question, no one has answered... in Linux, the scheduler will not go around crazy trying to schedule prcosses that are all waiting on IO. NOw the only time I see a degrade in threads would be if all are runnable.... in that case a async scheme with two threads would let each task run to completion, not thrashing the kernel. Is that correct to say?