Re: Perl in the toolchain

From: Sam Ravnborg (sam@ravnborg.org)
Date: Fri Jan 31 2003 - 15:41:32 EST

On Fri, Jan 31, 2003 at 02:48:37PM -0500, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 31, 2003 at 01:41:26PM -0600, Kai Germaschewski wrote:
> > Generally, we've been trying to not make perl a prequisite for the kernel
> > build, and I'd like to keep it that way. Except for some arch specific
>
> That's pretty much out the window when klibc gets merged, so perl will
> indeed be a build requirement for all platforms...

None of the perl scripts looks complicated.
Obivious question is if the same functionality could be achived by a simple
c program.
In the tool chain we use small C utilities in favour of for example
perl scripts in several places.

I would like to see perl kept out of the short-list of required programs
for the main stream kernels.
If the prize to do this is to write one or two small c tools to klibc
then I'm willing to pay that.

        Sam