Re: [RFC] Little endian Cramfs on big endian machines?

From: John Bradford (john@grabjohn.com)
Date: Sat Feb 01 2003 - 14:29:22 EST

> At the moment the cramfs code in 2.4 & 2.5 uses the native machine
> endianness for the filesystem layout. I believe this behaviour has
> been considered a bug and that the code changed such that the
> filsystem is always little endian.

Maybe the native machine endianness is used for performace reasons -
that would make sense given the typical uses of cramfs. Also, it is a
read-only filesystem, so a userland application could flip the
endianness if a filesystem needs to be used on a non-native endianness
machine.

I'm not necessarily saying that that it's not a bug, just suggesting
an explaination.

John.