Re: [BUG] vmalloc, kmalloc - 2.4.x

From: David Woodhouse (dwmw2@infradead.org)
Date: Mon Feb 03 2003 - 17:52:39 EST

On Mon, 2003-02-03 at 15:35, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> > > don't do that. ever.
> > why ?
>
> because if you ever need it, modules.h will automatically include
> it for you already. And if it doesn't you don't need it and it does more
> harm than good.

Is that true? I thought the kernel build system added it with the
-include argument to gcc? And so it works properly _only_ if you're
using the correct way of building out-of-tree modules, which as
discussed recently on this list is

        make -C $LINUXDIR SUBDIRS=`pwd`

where LINUXDIR defaults to /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build unless the user
specifies otherwise.

Some distributions ship a kernel-source package which is broken and does
not work like this. File that as a bug if you encounter it.

/me runs from Arjan :)

--
dwmw2