Re: 32bit emulation of wireless ioctls

From: Jean Tourrilhes (jt@bougret.hpl.hp.com)
Date: Mon Feb 03 2003 - 18:17:40 EST

On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 11:46:19PM +0100, Andi Kleen wrote:

> > Anyway, I believe that 64 bit platforms will need to become
> > mainstream before the issue of wireless on 64 bit is pressing, and by
> > that time most distro will have made the jump.
>
> Hmm, not so sure. I guess people will sooner than later plug wireless
> cards into 64bit boxes, especially with x86-64 which will hopefully
> be quite "mainstream".

        But I content that when it is that much mainstream, you will
have 64 bit distros.

> > > That is currently done (-EINVAL), but the emulation layer logs an
> > > warning.
> >
> > It's just a shame that it's not more distinctive, because the
> > error message wouldn't lead me to think "doh, I need a recompile".
>
> Do you have a better suggestion?

        I checked the errno list, and there was not one obvious
candidate. Potentially we could abuse ENOEXEC, but I must admit my
knowledge of errnos is too superficial.

> Anyways: for me it is just slightly annoying to not have 32bit
> emulation for something, but for other ports like sparc64/ppc64/mips64
> it can be show stopper because they only have 32bit userland.

        <Puzzled of why you would *not* want a 64 bit userland>

> Expect trouble when DaveM wants to plug a wireless card into one of
> his sparc64 boxes ;-)

        I want to see that ;-)
        I've always been telling David and Stephane here that they
should loan me an Itanium box to make sure IrDA and Wireless LAN work
properly, for the day we will release a PDA with an Itanium processor.

> -Andi

        Have fun...

        Jean