Re: DAC960, Alpha, 2.4.21-pre4 (Was: DAC960, 2.4.19 alpha problems)

From: Mikael Johansson (mpjohans@pcu.helsinki.fi)
Date: Tue Feb 04 2003 - 14:49:25 EST

Hello All!

Top-posting and replying to my own mail. Let's hope this at least is
useful for someone :-)

An update on the issue described below: The "mem=2047M" only _seemed_ to
solve the problem. The machine booted, but processes accessing the
RAID-array mount (/wrk) froze and became unkillable in a "D-state"
(immortal is the wrong word; they weren't alive).

The foolproof method of creating these processes was running bonnie++ -f,
a few seconds after "Rewriting..." all access to /wrk died. Impossible to
kill the processes with "kill -9" either (is there an even deadlier way?)

This happened on all kernels I tested, 2.4.19, 2.4.20, 2.4.21-pre4.
Unfortunately I couldn't test the -ac patches, as they needed a header
file missing on my system, sched_runqueue.h. Failed to locate it anywhere
else also.

So I now compiled the 2.2.23 kernel, and it (again) _seems_ to be running
OK. At least bonnie++ finishes. Now there's only the occasional spinlocks
that get stuck...

Anyway, if someone has a similar system, DP264/Tsunami/2*EV67, and can't
get things working with the DAC960 and 2.4, you can take some comfort in
the fact that you are not alone.

Just realized that I should have checked with a non SMP kernel, to see if
that would have made a difference.

Finally, if there are any wise persons out there who would benefit from
more precise information in efforts to solve this, I will be very glad to
help out.

Have a nice day,
    Mikael J.
    http://www.helsinki.fi/~mpjohans/

On Fri, 31 Jan 2003, Mikael Johansson wrote