Re: stochastic fair queueing in the elevator [Re: [BENCHMARK] 2.4.20-ck3 / aa / rmap with contest]

From: Nick Piggin (piggin@cyberone.com.au)
Date: Mon Feb 10 2003 - 03:27:51 EST

Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

>On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 06:41:14PM +1100, Nick Piggin wrote:
>
>>Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

What I mean by this is: if we have >1 sequential readers (eg. ftp
server), lets say 30MB/s disk, 4ms avg seek+settle+blah time,
submitting reads in say 128KB chunks alternating between streams
will cut throughput in half... At 1MB readahead we're at 89%
throughput. At 2MB, 94%

With anticipatory scheduling, we can give each stream say 100ms
so thats 96% with, say... 8K readahead if you like. (Yes, I am
aware that CPU/PCI/IDE efficiency also mandates a larger request
size).

Anyway that is the theory. It remains to be seen if we can make
it work.