Re: compiling kernel with debug and optimization

From: Keith Owens (kaos@ocs.com.au)
Date: Mon Feb 10 2003 - 06:32:37 EST

On Mon, 10 Feb 2003 03:11:51 -0800 (PST),
devnetfs <devnetfs@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Does compiling with -g option degrade performance? IMO it should NOT.

Compiling with -g slows down compilation and link, mainly because of
the extra debugging data that has to be copied around. -g
significantly increases disk usage.

>If that's true, then why dont we compile kernels with both -g and -O2
>always? Also does using -g AND -O2 cause some optimizations to be
>missed out?

With gcc, compiling with -g should have no effect on the kernel. One
of my occasional tests is to build vmlinux with and without -g, run
both through strip -g and compare the results. They should be
identical except for the build timestamp.