2.4.21-pre4-ac3 hangs at reboot

From: walt (wa1ter@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Feb 10 2003 - 12:33:11 EST

Hi Alan,

Actually this problem started with ac2. All seems to work well until I
reboot the machine with 'shutdown' or 'reboot' or 'ctl-alt-del'.

The machine shuts down properly to the point where all filesystems
are remounted readonly, which is the point where I normally see an
immediate reboot. Starting with pre4-ac2 I just get an indefinite
hang instead of the reboot.

The terminal driver still seems to work because I can use the
ctl-alt-Fx keys to switch to other pseudo-terminals but the login
process is already gone so I can't actually do anything at the
login prompts. It takes a hard reset to complete the reboot,
after which the machine comes up normally with clean filesystems.

I see this on three different machines with different motherboards
and CPU's [K6-2, athlon, athlon-xp], two VIA chipsets and one SiS.

No error messages print anywhere, so I'm not sure how to debug.
Do you need a kernel config file or dmesg output?