Faking a memory map?

From: David Frascone (dave@frascone.com)
Date: Tue Feb 11 2003 - 19:21:15 EST

I'm trying to get an existing SDK (userland) for a PCI hardware device
to work across a different propriatary bit-banged interface.

The original device driver just mmaped the PCI registers / address
space into userland. (talk about lazy ;)

Anyway, the hardware I'm working with is *not* on the PCI bus, and
therefore not memory-mappable. So, I'm stuck with a complex driver
design (compared to the original), and rewriting the entire bottom of
the SDK.

So, I thought: Is there a way to cheat? Would it be possible for me
to *fake* the SDK out by memory mapping some RAM, and then reading /
writing to the ram after bit-banging the device.

I looked into it some, but I couldn't figure out how to get notified
when the region was read/written to (only when the page changed). So,
is it possible to do the (admitedly ugly) hack I'm attempting?

Thanks in advance,

-Dave

--
David Frascone