Re: via rhine bug? (timeouts and resets)

From: Roger Luethi (rl@hellgate.ch)
Date: Wed Feb 12 2003 - 07:52:16 EST

On Tue, 11 Feb 2003 17:44:53 +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> I'd be happy to test via-rhine stuff, but my boxes don't generally like
> 2.5.x so I can only usefully test 2.4.x fixes

No prob. AFAIK the only significant difference 2.4/2.5 is the change you
made in 2.4.21pre4-ac1 (which, being short of IO-APIC hw, I can't test):

o Always set interrupt line with VIA northbridge (me)
        | Should fix apic mode problems with USB/audio/net on VIA boards

Besides that, Rhine drivers are in sync and should fail (or work)
identically in both trees.

However, unlike previous patches, changes pending now are not "obviously
right", so they need regression testing. 1.1.15exp1 for example cut the
time allowed for chip reset by three orders of magnitude [1]. Upcoming
patches will likely reshuffle code logic in order to fix races and bugs in
the current code.

So, thanks for the offer. If you can give 1.1.15exp1 a spin that'd be a
good start. It does fix a few existing problems and should not introduce
any new ones.

Roger

[1] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=104050723916958&w=2