Re: [RFC] Migrating net/sched to new module interface

From: Werner Almesberger (wa@almesberger.net)
Date: Fri Feb 14 2003 - 08:53:38 EST

Roman Zippel wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Feb 2003, Rusty Russell wrote:
>> This isn't even a sensible question: "This is not a module problem.
>> How does module locking help?"

I have to side with Rusty here - it's really not a module problem.

The module changes only make this a little worse, because they
follow the philosophy that this can't be fixed, so try_module_get
and friends try to implement the right kind of locking for unload
races (but for little else) without tripping over those "unfixable"
bugs.

The good news is that you can start fixing all those bugs right
now, and even without Rusty's consent :-)

- Werner