Re: swap never cleaned up

From: Andrew Morton (akpm@digeo.com)
Date: Fri Feb 14 2003 - 19:39:18 EST

Siim Vahtre <siim@pld.ttu.ee> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Since moving from 2.5.59 to 2.5.60 I've noticed some strange
> behaviour with swap managment. For some unknown reason the
> swapspace starts to fill up but it will NEVER get freed.
> Hence, it is first time in my life when I actually see swap
> used more than 20M on this computer!

Everything seems OK here, from a quick swap and tmpfs test.

Is it possible that some application is leaking memory, and that
swapoff causes it to be oom-killed?

Take a careful look at the process listing, see if some process is using a
lot of memory. Also the contents of /proc/meminfo. And see if you can work
out what operation is causing this.

Thanks.