Re: Synchronous signal delivery..

From: Davide Libenzi (davidel@xmailserver.org)
Date: Fri Feb 14 2003 - 20:23:54 EST

On Sat, 15 Feb 2003, Matti Aarnio wrote:

> > > It could be a separate system call, ...
> >
> > I would personally like it a lot to have timer events available on
> > pollable fds. Am I alone in this ?
>
> Somehow all this idea has a feeling of long established
> Linux kernel facility called: netlink
>
> It can send varying messages to userspace via a file-handle, and is
> pollable. Originally that is for network codes, and therefore it
> already has protocol capable to handle multiple different formats,
> handle queue saturation, etc.
>
> Do we need new syscall(s) ? Could it all be done with netlink ?

The ( evntually ) new syscall do not have to implement anything special
about queue and message delivery, the f_op->poll() support will be
sufficent to have them working with select/poll/epoll. About netlink, I
personally find it quite confusing with respect of simple syscalls like :

int sigfd(...);
int timerfd(...);

Netlink is quite powerfull because of its generic message passing
infrastructure, that is IMHO overkilling when you simply have to receive
one timer/signal event. I personally do not like the idea of multiplexing
APIs, expecially ones that did not born with that purposes.

- Davide