Re: openbkweb-0.0

From: Jamie Lokier (jamie@shareable.org)
Date: Fri Feb 14 2003 - 22:11:57 EST

Larry McVoy wrote:
> > Fwiw, even though Larry's offered to special-case Alan, (and presumed
> > that Alan's doesn't work for anyone other than Red Hat), in private
> > email Larry made it clear _I_ am not allowed to use Bitkeeper. This
> > is because I work on scripts which analyse repositories - and even
> > though I was prepared to limit the scope of that work for a time.
>
> Err, tell the whole story Jamie.

As you insist :)

> You are going down the path of trying to make CVS work as much as
> possible like BitKeeper. That's a perfectly reasonable thing for
> you to do but we are in no way obligated to help you.

That seems unlikely, as I have never used Bitkeeper and have no idea
what it is like to use other than anecdotes from the LKML.

Anything I come up with comes from (a) good public ideas from many
sources including you; (b) my own experience with CVS and diff+patch.
Any resemblance to Bitkeeper is a result of "great minds think alike" :)

Besides, there is a huge gulf between browsing and monitoring, and
"going down the path" of a version control system.

My ideas are quite different from yours anyway... (Much more watching
other projects, much less tools for respository mgmt).

I said I'd hold off from considering the programs that, IMHO, are not
like BK at all but which you might not like, for a negotiable time, in
exchange for a BK protocol spec., but you didn't go for it.

(The email I sent you is copied below, for the "whole story". People
are encouraged to draw their own conclusions on whether those ideas
are like Bitkeeper. I don't know, having not used it.)

-- Jamie