Re: 3Com 3cr990 driver release

From: Henning P. Schmiedehausen (hps@intermeta.de)
Date: Sat Feb 15 2003 - 06:34:38 EST

Larry McVoy <lm@bitmover.com> writes:

>taking a half decade off to code up an SCM system good enough for
>Linus to use. Without the benefit of having one to copy, by the way.

Using this statement over and over doesn't make it more true.

Linus stated in public that he was/is unhappy with CVS. Without
Bitkeeper he might use Subversion today. But by using Bitkeeper he
made it possible that you and your company started using him as your
posterboy for the "SCM good enough for Linus Torvalds to use". This is
IMHO not correct. BK is just "the first SCM which came along and was
good enough for Linus Torvalds to use it".

I do remember Linus saying that he wants to try out BitKeeper for the
2.5 development tree and if it does not work out, switch to something
else in the 2.6, 2.7... cycle.

The rift that the whole BitKeeper/BitMover stuff has opened in the
kernel developer community IMHO justifies such a step forward . I'd
like to see SVN to be used as an alternative tool. Not because it is
better (it probably is not, but I haven't had a chance to try out BK
because I don't qualify for the free license) than BK but because it
has no strings attached to its usage.

        Regards
                Henning

Java, perl, Solaris, Linux, xSP Consulting, Web Services freelance consultant -- Jakarta Turbine Development -- hero for hire - To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/