"Unknown HZ value! (0) Assume 100." Wraparound bug?

From: Matt Bernstein (matt@theBachChoir.org.uk)
Date: Tue Feb 18 2003 - 05:11:59 EST

Two of our machines (one running 2.4.18-xfs-ipsec, one running
2.4.19-pre10-ac2) started spitting this message before some commands
(might be in Debian procps 2.0.7-8) after an uptime of about 248 days
(certainly in the latter case, probably the same in the former).

This smells a bit as about 248 is about half of about 497, which was a
trigger (which I managed to hit :) in the mid 2.1.x series for the uptime
counter to wrap.

Apart from the message the machines were still running fine. I rebooted
the 2.4.18 one recently after about 330-340 days' uptime due to a power
outage confusing its routing. The 2.4.19-pre10-ac2 one is our mail server
and will need rebooting sooner as this bizarre message gets mailed back to
anyone who mails any of our majordomo lists :-/

Anyway, can't grumble. Thanks for all the uptime :)

Matt