Re: Linux v2.5.62 --- spontaneous reboots

From: Chris Wedgwood (cw@f00f.org)
Date: Tue Feb 18 2003 - 16:44:31 EST

On Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 05:42:38PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> It would be interesting to hear exactly when the trouble
> started. And if plain 2.5.59 does it (which is unclear from your
> description), but 59-mjb4 doesn't, then that's an interesting data
> point.

After much testing, which is still in progress it would seem that
*maybe* mjb4 does have the problem too, although it's much harder to
hit. Please note that this is a single data point where for other
kernels I have two or more occurrences of spontaneous reboots.

I've been checking older kernels... it would seem the problem first
occurs in 2.5.53 (that is 2.5.53 through 2.5.62-bk all reboot for me).
2.5.51 doesn't appear to and thus far neither does 2.5.52.

I say thus far, because the problem usually appears after about 15
minutes of compiling, but it sometimes takes a little longer. I'm
running 2.5.52 now and after 45 minutes it's still going.

As to what difference it might be between '52 and '53 I have no idea.
I had a quick look and the changes there are considerable.

I've tried different compiles, with and without preempt, and and
without IO-APIC and trimming down the kernel...

  --cw