Re: Select voltage manually in cpufreq

From: George Staikos (staikos@kde.org)
Date: Tue Feb 18 2003 - 18:09:34 EST

On Tuesday 18 February 2003 16:47, Chris Wedgwood wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 18, 2003 at 10:42:20PM +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:
> > I've added possibility to manualy force specified frequency and
> > voltage... That's fairly usefull for testing, and I believe this (or
> > something equivalent) is needed because every 2nd bios seems to be
> > b0rken.
>
> Why are all the power/cpu patches so complex? Can't we have a
> two-mode style operation, "slow-low-power" and "fast-high-power" or
> something? Would that not work with 99% or what people need and also
> be somewhat more uniform across platforms, CPUs, etc?

  I think the important thing is for the kernel to provide the functionality
that 99% of the people will need, and then for userspace tools/daemons to
hide the complex portions and make it easy for a user to get what he wants.

   /proc is not nearly a valid user interface, but it is one of the
application interfaces.

--

George Staikos