Re: 2.5.61 (Yes, there are still Alpha users out there. :-) )

From: Bill Davidsen (davidsen@tmr.com)
Date: Thu Feb 20 2003 - 06:23:46 EST

On Thu, 20 Feb 2003, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:

> On Wed, 2003-02-19 15:39:44 -0500, Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>

> > If you have simple needs that's fine. I build for multiple groups of
> > machines, and with a working mkinitrd I can just build a file for the boot
> > controller on each type of machine, and only build a single kernel which
> > will run anywhere with the proper initrd file.
>
> I do it the other way around - I've collected a number of .config files
> (one for each machine) which includes everything the machine needs to
> *boot*.

But... if you have it in .config, then you have to rebuild the kernel each
time. Maybe on an Alpha that doesn't matter, on anything I use a kernel
build takes minutes and an initrd create take seconds.

> Any additional features (LVM/DM, filesystems, iptables, ...)
> ships as modules. Things which require a distinct order are placed into
> /etc/modules (Debian's list of modules which need to be loaded in given
> order), all the rest is done via alias/install lines in
> modules.conf/modprobe.conf.
>
> This is, you do keep a machine's local config in its initrd, I do keep
> it on the machine itself.

Okay, now I see what you are doing, I guess you just have enough system
power to invest the time and disk space in building a kernel for each
config. When there was a working mkinitrd I was happily able to use fewer
of my resources to generate boot setups for all my systems, at least of a
given arch.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc