Re: 2.4 series IDE troubles

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Fri Feb 21 2003 - 18:52:21 EST

On Fri, 2003-02-21 at 21:13, Dag Bakke wrote:
> On 21 Feb 2003 18:59:40 +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> > With 2.4.21pre (the firs 2.4 IDE I hacked on seriously) pcmcia flash
> > works on my test setups, and gets used fairly hard for digital cameras
>
> Anyone tried booting a recent Toshiba Laptop from PCMCIA?
> I have, and it doesn't work. Not that this necessarily has anything to do
> with the IDE code. I have tried both recent -ac and vanilla.
>
> In short, if I load the kernel from PCMCIA, the CardBus slots disappear
> from the PCI bus. -> no root device -> boom!

Some toshiba stuff seems to hide the cardbus/pcmcia and fake the attached
CD-ROM used for booting as a native IDE device. I assume this is for
windows 95/98 installation. Vaio's do something similar but do not hide
the cardbus. When the cardbus is initialised on the vaio the magic IDE
mapping vanishes