Module loading on demand

From: Bill Davidsen (davidsen@tmr.com)
Date: Sat Feb 22 2003 - 08:43:29 EST

I note that with "new modules" modules no longer seem to load as needed
but must be loaded by hand or explicitly in modprobe.conf.

I have just been bitten by this trying to build a kernel (loop needed to
be loaded by hand) and using a VFAT format ZIP drive partition, where
mount didn't load the vfat module.

Is there some trick to making modules useful again?

--
bill davidsen, CTO TMR Associates, Inc <davidsen@tmr.com>
  Having the feature freeze for Linux 2.5 on Hallow'een is appropriate,