Re: oom killer and its superior braindamage in 2.4

From: David Mansfield (lkml@dm.cobite.com)
Date: Sun Feb 23 2003 - 13:07:18 EST

> On Sun, 23 Feb 2003, David Mansfield wrote:
>
> > Rik, any ideas?
>
> You could try the patch I sent to Marc and linux-kernel
> yesterday afternoon ;)

You miss my point completely. The kernel has ALREADY chosen a task to
kill. I don't care to adjust the 'badness' function. The kernel has
already chosen a bad task.

If you read my post, the bug is that the kernel CANNOT kill that process?
Why? If it's really a bad process, shouldn't it be the one that gets
killed?

With you patch we have:

1) Kernel goes OOM
2) Kernel picks the worst task to kill using badness()
3) Kernel attempts to kill this task but fails due to some {reason|bug}.
4) Kernel now picks some other task to kill even though the 'baddest' one
is allowed to hang out.

This is my question, and I don't see how the patch addresses it.

David

--
| David Mansfield              |