Re: Minutes from Feb 21 LSE Call

From: Kenneth Johansson (ken@kenjo.org)
Date: Sun Feb 23 2003 - 20:26:51 EST

On Mon, 2003-02-24 at 00:57, Alan Cox wrote:

> > > Next step: hardware gzip ?
> >
> > They did that already ... IBM were demonstrating such a thing a couple of
> > years ago. Don't see it helping with icache though, as it unpacks between
> > memory and the processory, IIRC.
>
> I saw the L2/L3 compressed cache thing, and I thought "doh!", and I watched and
> I've not seen it for a long time. What happened to it ?

http://www-3.ibm.com/chips/techlib/techlib.nsf/products/CodePack

If you are thinking of this it dose look like people was not using it I
know I'm not.It reduces memory for instructions but that is all and
memory is seems is not a problem at least not for instructions.

It dose not exist in new cpu's from IBM I don't know the official reason
for the removal.

If you really do mean compressed cache I don't think anybody has done
that for real.