Re: Minutes from Feb 21 LSE Call

From: Hui (billh@gnuppy.monkey.org)
Date: Mon Feb 24 2003 - 21:24:38 EST

On Mon, Feb 24, 2003 at 06:14:26PM -0800, Larry McVoy wrote:
> > Ok, replace "vague notion" with latency and scheduling concepts that
> > everybody else except you understands and you'll be a bit more relevant.
>
> Victor has forgotten more than most people know about operating systems.
> Dig into his background, he tends to know what he is talking about even
> if he is a little terse at times.

But apparently what knows is not very modern. I'm no slouch either being a
former BSDi (the original Unix folks) engineer, but I don't go dimissing
folks implicitly like he did to "The Will", William Irwin... and then not
adding anything usable in the conversation. That's just no excuse for an
adult running a company or in a public forum that's discussing these very
important issues.

Frankly, I don't care what he has or what traditional so called "Unix
folks" think. Even FreeBSD's SMPng project, using BSD/OS's 5.0 code
deals with these issues respectfully. These old school Unix folks seem
to have a much more modern attitude towards this stuff than either
you or Victor.

bill