Re: Box freezes if I enable "AMD 76x native power management"

From: Paul Giordano (giordano@covad.net)
Date: Mon Feb 24 2003 - 22:13:29 EST

Just another voice in the crowd...

TYAN 2462 dual 1200MP, and another w/ dual 1900MP
Dual WD100 IDE, seperate channels
Current BIOS 2.13
1GB RAM

I noticed this behavior when I started playing with 2.4.20 and could
never figger it out - went so far as to bring up KGDB and was way down
in the IDE DMA code, scary stuff... Kept scanning LKML and finally found
this gem of a thread...

Ran up a clean, fresh kernel from pre4-ac5, four combos
1) CONFIG_AMD_PM768=Y CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_PCI=y
2) CONFIG_AMD_PM768=m CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_PCI=y
3) CONFIG_AMD_PM768=Y CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_PCI is not set
4) CONFIG_AMD_PM768=m CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_PCI is not set

In cases 1 and 3, hang at boot, pressing the power button frees it up.
In cases 2 and 4, no boot hang, and, at lease for me, no hang when
amd76x_pm module's loaded

So, back to playing - if you need some testing on this board, let me
know - I use one at work and one at home, takes no time at all to gen up
and try things out, and they'll get pretty good exercise.

Regards,
Gio

Please cc: - not subscribed to LKML