Re: zImage now holds vmlinux, System.map and config in sections. (fwd)

From: Jeremy Jackson (jerj@coplanar.net)
Date: Tue Feb 25 2003 - 09:34:05 EST

>From a pure technical point of view, it seems just like bloat. But from a
distribution, maintenance, etc point of view, it's a godsend. It's a config
option, just like devfs and initrd, so just don't use it if you don't want
to.

One suggestion, make the config option have 2 choices to include it, one
which sets the ELF attribute to load it, the other which just puts it in the
file but doesn't load it.

Also, does it make sense to strip the kernel, reformat the symbols into
System.map, then put them back into the image?

Regards,

Jeremy