Re: filesystem access slowing system to a crawl

From: Marc-Christian Petersen (m.c.p@wolk-project.de)
Date: Wed Feb 26 2003 - 18:17:57 EST

On Wednesday 19 February 2003 18:49, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

Hi Marcelo,

apply this, please!

> On Wed, Feb 19, 2003 at 05:42:34PM +0100, Marc-Christian Petersen wrote:
> > On Wednesday 05 February 2003 10:39, Andrew Morton wrote:
> >
> > Hi Andrew,

> > > Could be that your "low memory" is filled up with inodes. This would
> > > only happen in these tests if you're using ext2, and there are a *lot*
> > > of directories.
> > > I've prepared a lineup of Andrea's VM patches at
> > > It would be useful if you could apply 10_inode-highmem-2.patch and
> > > report back. It applies to 2.4.19 as well, and should work OK there.
> >
> > is there any reason why this (inode-highmem-2) has never been submitted
> > for inclusion into mainline yet?

Marcelo please include this:
http://www.us.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/andrea/kernels/v2.4/2.4.21pre4aa3/10_inode-highmem-2
other fixes should be included too but they don't apply cleanly yet
unfortunately, I (or somebody else) should rediff them against mainline.
> Andrea

ciao, Marc