Re: About /etc/mtab and /proc/mounts

From: Joseph Wenninger (jowenn@jowenn.at)
Date: Thu Feb 27 2003 - 02:03:42 EST

Hi

Am Don, 2003-02-27 um 07.40 schrieb Kasper Dupont:
> Miles Bader wrote:
> >
> > Kasper Dupont <kasperd@daimi.au.dk> writes:
> > > I don't think you can put all the information from /etc/mtab
> > > into /proc/mounts without breaking compatibility.

For KDE 3.1 I've written a mount watcher, which checks the modification
time of the /etc/mtab to recognize mount/unmount activity, which broke
for linux from scratch( for now, they have updated there install
instructions), because they linked to /proc/mounts, which doesn't seem
to support mtime.
If the mtab is really completly removed, is there something else I can
use to track mount activities from userspace ? I don't want to retrieve
the whole mounted list all the time and compare each entry to my
internally stored list, just to find out that nothing has changed
anyways.

Kind regards
Joseph Wenninger