Re: About /etc/mtab and /proc/mounts

From: Dominik Kubla (dominik@kubla.de)
Date: Thu Feb 27 2003 - 04:11:59 EST

On Thursday 27 February 2003 09:12, Kasper Dupont wrote:
> Dominik Kubla wrote:
> > I would recommend to replace /etc/mtab with a pseudo-FS like Sun did
> > for /etc/mnttab:
> How does that thing behave? I have considered a /proc/mtab implementation,
> that might be slightly similar.

Quoting the Solaris 8 man page:

File Formats mnttab(4)

NAME
     mnttab - mounted file system table

DESCRIPTION
     The file /etc/mnttab is really a file system that provides
     read-only access to the table of mounted file systems for
     the current host. /etc/mnttab is read by programs using the
     routines described in getmntent(3C). Mounting a file system
     adds an entry to this table. Unmounting removes an entry
     from this table. Remounting a file system causes the infor-
     mation in the mounted file system table to be updated to
     reflect any changes caused by the remount. The list is main-
     tained by the kernel in order of mount time. That is, the
     first mounted file system is first in the list and the most
     recently mounted file system is last. When mounted on a
     mount point the file system appears as a regular file con-
     taining the current mnttab information.
[...]
NOTES
     The snapshot of the mnttab information is taken any time a
     read(2) is performed at offset 0 (the beginning) of the
     mnttab file. The file modification time returned by stat(2)
     for the mnttab file is the time of the last change to
     mounted file system information. A poll(2) system call
     requesting a POLLRDBAND event can be used to block and wait
     for the system's mounted file system information to be dif-
     ferent from the most recent snapshot since the mnttab file
     was opened.

Regards,
  Dominik Kubla

--
"What this  country needs is  a short, victorious war  to stem the  tide of
revolution." (V.K. von Plehve, Russian Minister  of Interior on the  eve of