Re: Invalid compilation without -fno-strict-aliasing

From: Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Date: Thu Feb 27 2003 - 15:38:43 EST

On Thu, 27 Feb 2003, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:

> We could work around both of these: disable the sign compare warning,
> and use check_gcc to set a high number for -finline-limit...

Oh, both are work-aroundable, no question about it. The same way it was
possible to work around the broken aliasing with previous releases. I'm
just hoping that especially the inline thing can be resolved sanely,
otherwise we'll end up having to use something ugly like

        -D'inline=inline __attribute__((force_inline))'

on every single command line..

(I find -finline-limit tasteless, since the limit number is apparently
totally meaningless as far as the user is concerned. It's clearly a
command line option that is totally designed for ad-hoc compiler tweaking,
not for any actual useful user stuff).

                Linus