Re: Proposal: Eliminate GFP_DMA

From: Russell King (rmk@arm.linux.org.uk)
Date: Fri Feb 28 2003 - 11:03:37 EST

On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 09:49:18AM -0600, Eli Carter wrote:
> To do it properly, I think you'd need to give a range, not just an upper
> bound. On some ARM / XScale systems, you can specify a window of your
> RAM that is visible on the PCI bus. That may be a case too odd to care
> about, but I'm going to have to at some point in the future....

Which may not start at address zero either.

There are even ARM systems where it'd be useful to be able to say "only
allocate memory in region N where N = first 1MB of every 2MB region.
(Yes, I know, this broken hardware should die, but it just isn't going
away thanks to the marketing powers of large IC manufacturers.)

Maybe the generic solution could be something like the resource allocation
functions which are passed an alignment function? /me hides.

--
Russell King (rmk@arm.linux.org.uk)                The developer of ARM Linux