Re: [ACPI] Re: S4bios support for 2.5.63

From: Roger Luethi (rl@hellgate.ch)
Date: Mon Mar 03 2003 - 09:30:06 EST

[removed ACPI mailing list from cc:]

On Mon, 03 Mar 2003 15:07:54 +0100, Troels Haugboelle wrote:
> just to add my experience. Maybe it helps. I haven't been able to get
> swsusp working on any 2.4.x kernel until i did an
> hdparm -u1 /dev/hda
> now the strange thing: I tried to turn on the frame buffer device and
> it started chrashing again until i did
> hdparm -u0 /dev/hda
> Before I tried using suspend in 2.5.x with varying success. Now
> everything runs like a charm. Without unmask irq's first the kernel
> dumped
> with either a kernel BUG statement or a fault in ide-disk.c

Not sure I follow all of your story but I can confirm that hdparm -u1
successfully gets me to the kernel panic due to highmem support still
lacking -- i.e. way beyond the BUG_ON() I've been hitting. So it looks
like you found a good work-around.

FWIW I'm using reiserfs, too. Two harddisks, ALi chipset.

Roger