Re: 2.4 iget5_locked port attempt to 2.4

From: Nikita Danilov (Nikita@Namesys.COM)
Date: Mon Mar 03 2003 - 10:35:53 EST

Alan Cox writes:
> On Mon, 2003-03-03 at 14:09, Oleg Drokin wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > It's me again, I basically got no reply for this iget5_locked patch
> > I have now. Would there be any objections if I try push it to Marcelo
> > tomorrow? ;)
>
> I just binned it. Certainly its not the kind of stuff I want to test in -ac,
> too many VFS changes outside reiserfs

In 2.4 there is a race when find_actor is used in conjunction with
->read_inode2, because inode_lock is released before calling
->read_inode2 and hence, find_actor cannot safely rely on
initialisations of inode's private part done in ->read_inode2. This is
why in 2.5 iget5_locked takes special "set" callback that is called from
under inode_lock. It so happened that reiserfs is the only (is it?) file
system that used both find_actor and ->read_inode2, but whole API is
just broken and should be fixed.

Nikita.