Re: Updating the kernel of a RedHat 7.3

From: Leonid Mamchenkov (f.l.linux-admin@news.francoudi.com)
Date: Tue Mar 04 2003 - 12:27:32 EST

Dear Miguel Gonz?lez Casta?os,

Once you wrote about "Updating the kernel of a RedHat 7.3":
MGlCo> I have followed the instructions of redhat of how to upgrade a kernel
MGlCo> downloading from the upgrades.redhat.com web page the corresponding
MGlCo> RPMs.

It looks like you haven't followed all instructions...

MGlCo> I have downloaded the following RPMs for my fresh installation:
MGlCo> kernel-2.4.18-24.7.x.i686.rpm
MGlCo> kernel-source-2.4.18-24.7.x.i686.rpm
MGlCo> kernel-smp-2.4.18-24.7.x.i686.rpm (since its a double proccesor box)

Sometimes you need a little more then that, like modutils, for example.

MGlCo> I did the upgrade of the kernel-source RPM and had to use -ivh --nodeps
MGlCo> --force options to install the kernel and the kernel-smp RPMs.

Using either of --nodeps and --force is asking for troubles... not to
mention a combination of two.

MGlCo>
MGlCo> I noticed that the kernel progress bar only reached the 50%.

Bad sign.

MGlCo> Everything seems to be fine, but what could be wrong or everything is
MGlCo> fine?

If you can run lilo without any complaints, I'd call it a pretty good
sign. Otherwise, noone knows. :)

--
Best regards,
  Leonid Mamtchenkov, RHCE