Re: [2.5.63] aha152x, module issues

From: Bill Davidsen (davidsen@tmr.com)
Date: Tue Mar 04 2003 - 17:43:58 EST

On Tue, 4 Mar 2003, Kai Germaschewski wrote:

> On Tue, 4 Mar 2003, Sam Ravnborg wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Mar 03, 2003 at 05:11:10PM -0500, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> > > scripts/Makefile.modinst:16: *** Uh-oh, you have stale module entries. You messed with SUBDIRS, do not complain if something goes wrong.
> >
> > This happens if you have encountered a compile error in a module.
> > In this case you did not succeed the compilation of fs/binfmt_aout,
> > and therefore no .o file can be located.
> > kbuild assumes this is because you have messed with SUBDIRS, which is wrong.
> >
> > Kai - the following patch fixes this for me.
>
> Hmmh, interesting. The patch looks good to me, but there's still one thing
> I don't understand: When compiling a module errors out, we should never
> even go into the module postprocessing stage. Or were you running with -k?

Yes, this is a s-l-o-w machine, I try to build as much as possible while
I'm at lunch, in meetings, etc. So the fail to find the modules was mine,
the bad error message was a result. And of course it would be nice if all
the modules which compiled in 2.5.59 would still compile in 2.5.63, so I
could spend time trying to debug why the aha152x doesn't actually *work*
if it has to share an interrupt. Since I can't change the IRQ of this old
stuff short of ripping the boards out and readdressing with a soldering
iron, I was hoping to take another path.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc