Re: VM / OOM troubles in 2.4.20-ck4 (-aa VM)

From: Con Kolivas (kernel@kolivas.org)
Date: Tue Mar 04 2003 - 19:27:33 EST

On Tue, 4 Mar 2003 11:58 pm, Alastair Stevens wrote:
> Hi Guys - I was surprised to discover that the very latest 2.4.20
> kernels running the latest -ck patches still have major VM problems,
> even with the -aa VM.
>
> Our dual Athlon server with 512Mb RAM / 1.2Gb swap, and not particularly
> heavily loaded, lasted 81 days with 2.4.20-ck1 under RH8.0, and then
> succumbed with these errors:
>
> VM error: killing process wineserver
> _alloc_pages: 0-order allocation failed (gfp=0x1d2/0)
>
> This time, it only lasted _3 days_ with -ck4 before the same thing
> happened.
>
> I presume this is the OOM killer? Swap is indeed full, but I've no idea
> why, on a machine that's only running a couple of instances of a small
> Windoze app under WINE.
>
> Is there a problem here? Should I just give up and run 2.5? ;-)

My first guess would be wine. There are all sorts of leaks in that.

I'm not aware of any memory leak / vm problems with -ck although that may be
possible. However ck4 does not have the OOM killer enabled so it's not that
in action; you simply have run out of memory and it can't allocate any more.
Have you tried without the aa vm addons in ck? Does this happen with vanilla
2.4.20? -ck is a very different branch.

Con