Re: Oops in 2.5.64

From: Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Date: Thu Mar 06 2003 - 14:36:12 EST

In article <3E66E782.5010502@tmsusa.com>, J Sloan <joe@tmsusa.com> wrote:

>2.5.64 was running well, but after a day
>or so of uptime, in fairly busy use (squid,
>postfix, dhcp server, iptables, X desktop)
>I ssh'd in as root, issued an init 3, then
>a moment later, init 5. A moment after
>that, the ssh session froze and all internet
>access stopped as well.
>
>The console was frozen, with an oops -

Are you using DRI? There is some evidence that exiting and restarting X
will not correctly re-initialize the DRI stuff in the kernel, and
_massive_ kernel memory corruption can ensure when the new X server
starts.

At which point you'll get random oopses etc.

>CONFIG_AGP=y
># CONFIG_AGP3 is not set
>CONFIG_AGP_INTEL=y
># CONFIG_AGP_VIA is not set
># CONFIG_AGP_AMD is not set
># CONFIG_AGP_SIS is not set
># CONFIG_AGP_ALI is not set
># CONFIG_AGP_SWORKS is not set
># CONFIG_AGP_AMD_8151 is not set
>CONFIG_DRM=y
>CONFIG_DRM_TDFX=m
>CONFIG_DRM_R128=m
># CONFIG_DRM_RADEON is not set
>CONFIG_DRM_I810=y
># CONFIG_DRM_I830 is not set
># CONFIG_DRM_MGA is not set

Looks like you at least have the DRI kernel modules there.

Try to see if the problem goes away if you start X without DRI support
(ie remove the "Load 'dri'" or whatever from the XF86Config file, or
start up in a mode that DRI doesn't support, like 8bpp).

                Linus