Re: unable to boot

From: Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu
Date: Sun Mar 09 2003 - 14:02:40 EST

On Sun, 09 Mar 2003 15:17:13 +0530, "praveen R-R.No.200201004" <praveen_r@students.iiit.net> said:
> hi,
> when i boot RH linux 7.2 it goes to init-2.05# prompt after the
> message freeing kernel memory.The root partition is mounted read only and
> none of the other partitions are mounted.Can anybody explain what is
> happening.

Wrong list, but I suspect your problem is either:

1) You've booted to 'single' (though other filesystems should be mounted
at this point if that were true).

2) For some reason, you booted with 'init=/bin/bash'.

3) Your root filesystem is screwed up and needs an 'fsck'. The prompt should
look something like '(repair filesystem) #' if this is the case.

If neither of these are the case, you can either try your luck with more
details on one of the RedHat lists, or call RedHat Support if you have a
support contract....