Re: ide-problem still with 2.4.21-pre5-ac1

From: Bill Davidsen (davidsen@tmr.com)
Date: Sun Mar 09 2003 - 15:24:25 EST

On Sun, 9 Mar 2003 Andries.Brouwer@cwi.nl wrote:

> > why its not honouring PTBL values in his case apparently
>
> The disk capacity code foolishly sets heads to 255, and then
> ide_xlate_1024 decides that we already have chosen a translation,
> so that it does not have to figure out what translation to use.
>
> Andries

[ code snipped ]

Since you identify this as the problem, do you propose a solution? A flag
indicating that default values are in place, perhaps? Better checks to
ensure that if LBA is used the geometry is forced sane in some way? I
don't think special case code is desirable in this case, at least beyond
checking a flag if that's what's needed.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc