Re: BitBucket: GPL-ed KitBeeper clone

From: Daniel Phillips (phillips@arcor.de)
Date: Mon Mar 10 2003 - 18:03:18 EST

On Sun 09 Mar 03 03:45, Zack Brown wrote:
> OK, so here is my distillation of Larry's post.
>
> Basic summary: a distributed, replicated, version controlled user level
> file system with no limits on any of the file system events which may
> happened in parallel. All changes must be put correctly back together, no
> matter how much parallelism there has been.
>
> * Merging.
>
> * The graph structure.
>
> * Distributed rename handling. Centralized systems like Subversion don't
> have as many problems with this because you can only create one file in
> one directory entry because there is only one directory entry available.
> In distributed rename handling, there can be an infinite number of
> different files which all want to be src/foo.c. There are also many rename
> corner-cases.
>
> * Symbolic tags. This is adding a symbolic label on a revision. A
> distributed system must handle the fact that the same symbol can be put on
> multiple revisions. This is a variation of file renaming. One important
> thing to consider is that time can go forward or backward.
>
> * Security semantics. Where should they go? How can they be integrated
> into the system? How are hostile users handled when there is no central
> server to lock down?
>
> * Time semantics. A distributed system cannot depend on reported time
> being correct. It can go forward or backward at any rate.
>
> I'd be willing to maintain this as the beginning of a feature list and
> post it regularly to lkml if enough people feel it would be useful and not
> annoying. The goal would be to identify the features/problems that would
> need to be handled by a kernel-ready version control system.
>
> Be well,
> Zack

Hi Zack,

You might want to have a look here, there's lots of good stuff:

   http://arx.fifthvision.net/bin/view/Arx/LinuxKernel
   (Kernel Hackers SCM wish list)

   http://arx.fifthvision.net/bin/view/Arx/GccHackers
   (Gcc Hackers SCM wish list)

Arx is a fork of Tom Lord's Arch, now in version 1.0pre5.

Regards,

Daniel